[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Dec 30 07:34:24 UTC 2009

Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett op gmail.com>:

> 2.4.1 now installed, using default ./configure
> I had to make a bunch of directories & move all the .conf files cuz the
> config path seems scrambled, its /usr/local/ups/etc, s/b /usr/local/etc/ups
> IMO.  Bug?

No, you didn't read the INSTALL file. These are the build in defaults
if you don't tell configure where it should install things.

> The above line still fails, but a different failure, a snip from the end of
> its output when the above line is executed from the drivers src dir:
> -------------------------
> Checking device (050D/0751) (001/005)
> - VendorID: 050d
> - ProductID: 0751
> - Manufacturer: unknown
> - Product: unknown
> - Serial Number: unknown
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
> permitted
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
> permitted
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
> permitted
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
> failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
> permitted
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
> driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
> Can't claim USB device [050d:0751]: could not detach kernel driver from
> interface 0: Operation not permitted
> [root op coyote drivers]#
> ---------------------------

Most likely, the same problem as above. Either the  files required for
hotplugging are not installed or they have other user and group
settings.

> And indeed, ttyUSB0 is owned by heyu on this box. ;-)

The usbhid-ups driver doesn't use ttyUSB0, so I fail to see why you
bring this up.

> This error is identical regardless of the user launching it, root included.

The driver should *always* be launched by root, regardless of the
configure settings. You could try to work around the permissions
problems temporarily by adding the '-u root' flag to the startup
command line, so that the driver doesn't drop privileges to whatever
user it is configured to use.

I do believe however, that you'd better search for a pre-compiled RPM
version from Fedora instead. This would save you all the hassle of
finding out which configure options you need (this can be dozens).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list