[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:24:45 UTC 2009

On Thursday 31 December 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>:
>> There is also a missing /etc/sysconfig/ups file, which I have NDI what to
>> put into, so that bit of code in the init.d/ups is commented out, and
>> SERVER=master is set in it.
>
>NUT doesn't use a /etc/sysconfig/ups file (this is probably added by
> Fedora).

And I don't know that the file ever existed on my system, ever.  So that part
of the init script has been disabled.

>Do yourself a favor and ask for help on a Fedora mailing list and
>preferably find some pre-compiled RPM's to install on your system. I
>don't have the time, nor the energy to talk you trough all stages of
>building NUT for Fedora (or any other distro, for that matter).
>
>Building from sources is clearly not something for you (no pun
>intended).

Building from srcs is not a problem, but one does have an expectation of
reasonable defaults.  Only an amanda build, which I may do several times a
week, requires a longer ./configure line than I used to build the last
version of 2.4.1.  That, long since, 10 years ago for the 1st version, has
been carved into a build script, so my fumble fingers don't have to get it
right every time.  This I think, should also be made into a script so that if
I can get it working, the next release should too.

FWIW Arjen, I routinely build my own kernels, and just as routinely build
each development snapshot of amanda, the backup program.  And I have been
carving code, often in assembly, or in my first 2 projects in the late 1970's
in hexidecimal, entering it into memory with a hex monitor.  Currently
running kernel 2.6.32, and have tried 2.6.32.2 but found its usb support
broken, and have tried 2.6.33-rc2, which was a disaster, dying in less than
an hour with lots of stuff not working from the gitgo.

You requested logs, which I sent, and which were not commented on in any
reply I received.  Those logs show the usbhid-ups/belkin driver combination
losing comm with the ups and having to redo its search for the ups several
times a minute, but you apparently sent them to /dev/null.  Were I the coder
for that piece of code, that would have raised all sorts of red flags.

This loss of comm is the reason I cannot run upsmon as its setup now, but
usbhid-ups is showing in an htop display, running as the user ups.  So is
upsd, also running as the user ups.  Not by the init script, I still need to
fine tune that.  but if I start upsmon, then the kde write daemon floods my
screens with "comm lost", "can't comm", and "comm restored" messages, which
also spam the logs.

The instructions in the example files are even occasionally miss-leading, and
I just found from an error message, that the allowfrom has been deprecated
but not removed from one of the .conf files.

I believe, if the comm problems can be sorted, that I may have a working
setup & all I have to do is fine tune the /etc/init.d script to re-establish
what is running right now.

So the end is in sight, and its a poor time to bail out now..

>I'm sorry, but the best advice I can give you here is to
>find an RPM where this is already done for you.

Which I have explained is not available for F10.

I'm thinking of moving to a mandriva 2010x64 install, but I don't recall
seeing nut available in rpmdrake.

>Best regards, Arjen

Thanks Arjen.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Griffin's Thought:
	When you starve with a tiger, the tiger starves last.