[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Gabor Gombas gombasg at sztaki.hu
Mon Feb 9 16:20:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 04:23:54PM +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote:

> Well, that is the whole point now, at the moment there isn't.
> Switching off systems at various battery.charge/runtime levels is only
> useful, if you can also switch them on again. This is where the
> programmable outlets come into play. We first need to deal with that.

Most server-grade boxes have IPMI support and that's _very_ convenient
not just for turning the machine on/off. Also, we have good experiences
with simple Wake-on-LAN for cheap boxes: it's not 100% reliable, but it
is good enough to be useful (and if a machine does not have IPMI support
then it cannot be that important ;-)

IMHO nut is currently quite good at the low-level HW support but there
is a real need to provide support for centralized, high-level power
on/off plans. And "centralized" is a very important keyword here; having
to modify upssched scripts on dozens of machines when the plan changes
is a real PITA.

Gabor