[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Douglas Parsons doug at parsonsemail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:12:31 UTC 2009

Lars,

The win client includes several timers that can be used to simulate what you
seek. There is a timer that can be set to cause the server to shut down
after X minutes on battery. You can set this to the needed times giving you
the sequencing you are looking for. The down side is the issue of mid
shutdown recovery. On a large UPS system with the windows client you have to
cycle power to the server to get it to reboot. Unless you have a way to
switch off the output that the server is on, you will have to continue the
shutdown of the entire system and then trigger a restart of the UPS unit OR
require manual intervention. This is exactly the point I am facing in my
system. At this point we are concerned with a clean shutdown and are willing
to do a manual restart.

I have about 50 ups units on campus and monitor them all with one NUT
server. All of the windows clients then talk to that one master server to
get the status to it's UPS unit.

Mine is still a work in progress and has many things left to fix.

Doug