[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Feb 10 19:34:35 UTC 2009

Citeren Gabor Gombas <gombasg op sztaki.hu>:

> The first step would be to have a _central_ way to manage when to shut a
> specific class of clients down. Having to muck with upssched scripts on
> every client just does not scale. IMHO the clients should just say
> "hello, I'm of class X" when logging into the UPS, and it should be
> upsd's job to say "clients of class X start to shut down NOW, everyone
> else wait".

This would still require configuration on the part of the clients to
set the class. But I agree with the fact that this should be managed
in a centralized way. I intend to do this by adding 'virtual' UPS
devices that clients can connect to in the usual manner. By doing so,
the interface to existing client applications (not only the ones we
provide) remains intact. So something like

     big-ups op example.com (actual UPS)
     <whatever>@example.com (virtual UPS)

In this case, clients can connect to either of the above (or more than
one), which will look to them as a 'real' UPS. All the power
sequencing would be handled on the server, including the decision to
shutdown a certain virtual UPS. Doing so effectively means that from
the moment this is added, all existing clients can start using this.

> Being able to turn clients that were logged in to the UPS when their
> shutdown was ordered back on is the next logical step after the above,
> but for a start I'd be happy with the shutdown part.

Noted. If you're not already subscribed to the nut-upsdev mailinglist,
please do so, since usually changes like the above will be announced
there first.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list