[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Feb 9 19:12:43 UTC 2009

Citeren Gabor Gombas <gombasg op sztaki.hu>:

> Most server-grade boxes have IPMI support and that's _very_ convenient
> not just for turning the machine on/off. Also, we have good experiences
> with simple Wake-on-LAN for cheap boxes: it's not 100% reliable, but it
> is good enough to be useful (and if a machine does not have IPMI support
> then it cannot be that important ;-)

With whatever strategy you use, you need to be able to send some kind
of command (power on, WOL magic, whatever) at the right time. Shutting
down is 'easy' when there is one point in time where you can decide to
shutdown whatever is connected (what we have now) possibly with some
kind of sequencing and then power cycle the UPS. What people are
asking now, is to have multiple decision moments and for each one you
must guarantee that you're able to return to the normal state with as
little impact on other systems. This is something completely different.

> IMHO nut is currently quite good at the low-level HW support but there
> is a real need to provide support for centralized, high-level power
> on/off plans. And "centralized" is a very important keyword here; having
> to modify upssched scripts on dozens of machines when the plan changes
> is a real PITA.

In that case, put these scripts on a network drive. They don't have to
live in /etc/ups (or whatever is compiled in). In networked
environments with lots of similar systems it is much more convenient
to do this on a NFS share.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list