[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Feb 10 19:59:30 UTC 2009

Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco op absence.it>:

>> Please elaborate here, because as far as I know we already have this
>> (the 'upsd' server).
> Please read the last mail from Gabor, his idea it's really close to
> mine. To me clients have to be as "stupid" as possible (requiring almost
> no configuration) and simply obey to commands issued by the server. This
> means that clients shutdown configuration has to be done on the machine
> controlling the UPS(es). This way it is the server (connected to the
> UPS) that allows someone to use the UPS it owns for the time it
> considers fine, it is not a client that tells the server how much it
> wants to stay up (a slave upsmon works this way, right?).

If you run the upsmon master on the same box as the upsd server, all
upsmon slaves connected to the same UPS will shutdown at the same time
as the upsmon master. So effectively, you already have a centralized
setup if you configure things properly. There is absolutely no need to
run 'upssched' on every client if they should all go down at the same
time, just run it on the master and you'll be fine. The only thing
that remains is that we need different 'virtual' UPSes that can be
shutdown at different battery.(charge|runtime) levels and you have
pretty much exactly what Gabor describes.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list