[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Feb 9 19:27:18 UTC 2009

Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco op absence.it>:

>> And "centralized" is a very important keyword here; having
>> to modify upssched scripts on dozens of machines when the plan changes
>> is a real PITA.
> I agree, and that's the reason why I said there is a need for a
> director. It takes care about settings and actions, clients should only
> obey and possibly show UPS informations. It's also a metter of role: the
> system managing the UPS is the only one that should decide and control
> who can keep running and for how long, not the server administrator (and
> maybe you're not even the server owner or admin)!
> This should also make the powershare feature easier to implement since
> the computer controlling the UPS knows everything.

Please elaborate here, because as far as I know we already have this
(the 'upsd' server).

What we're intending to do is to add additional 'upsd' servers (per
outlet) that are configurable to some extend allow you to set
additional shutdown parameters. But these additional servers would all
be slaves to the server controlling the UPS, since by the time that
one decides the UPS battery is empty, there is nothing to to but to
shutdown.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list