[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Sat Feb 14 17:43:51 UTC 2009

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:
> Citeren Marco Chiappero <marco at absence.it>:
>
>>> It's funny that you mention MGE PSP here, since except for the
>>> shutdown timer (reason explained in the FAQ), NUT already provides
>>> *all* functionality it has (including shutdown based on charge and
>>> runtime). What you may be missing is the fact that this requires
>>> setting values on the UPS through the 'upsrw' command to control the
>>> level when the UPS will decide the battery is low.
>> As far as I remember in PSP there are two different regulations, battery
>> charge level that triggers system shutdown and battery charge level that
>> set the "low battery" state. I suppose it uses the first one that
>> occurs. If I'm not wrong.
>
> You're wrong. :-)

I don't think so :-)
Yesterday I had a try with my windows laptop. Here you can see how it
works: http://i43.tinypic.com/2n20778.png
You can set the "low battery" level as a lower bound, so you have a
low_battery - full_battery interval where you can freely "place" a time
point, on different basis, which start the shutdown procedure. That's
what I'd call freedom of choice, I can choose what event should trigger
the shutdown and when (without recurring to external utilities), you
just have not to be in low battery yet. It is something important that
many software already have.
Moreover I'd like to choose, in this low_battery - full battery range,
when to powerdown different systems, still on different basis.
However, the solution you wrote about is fine, so let's wait for
implementation.

> [...]

Yes, I know.
Thank you again, but I have read every single piece of documentation
aviable, I'm just waiting for the features I need ;-)

Regards
Marco Chiappero