[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Sun Feb 15 09:23:29 UTC 2009

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:
> You can configure NUT to shutdown at a certain battery.charge too,
> with the UPS you're using, that's what I have been telling you a
> couple of times already.

But I already know it! I was just wondering why NUT works differently
and lacks those features. I said I could/should even care whether the
battery charge is low or not, the only thing I know is that at _event_
[battery_charge | runtime | elapsed_time] (like PSP natively and in an
intuitive way does) I want to start shutdown procedure. I'd like the
same freedom of choice, why only "low battery" is that relevant in NUT?
That's the juice.
However, never mind...

>> Moreover I'd like to choose, in this low_battery - full battery range,
>> when to powerdown different systems, still on different basis.
>
> This won't work with MGE PSP either, so the comparison doesn't hold here.

Well, right, but PSP it's not intended for network use, while NUT indeed
it is. I took it as example for showing the above reason and how easy is
to choose from different criteria in a standalone environment:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2mpy9s6.png
If I'm not wrong it should be pretty easy to set up ordered shutdown
with different criteria in apcupsd too. Me and some other people
reported that actually NUT can't easily cope with similar requests. Is
there something more to comment on that?

>> However, the solution you wrote about is fine, so let's wait for
>> implementation.
>
> Which is for a totally different thing we're talking about.

Ok, it is for the whole features we were talking about. Never mind,
please step over.

>> Thank you again, but I have read every single piece of documentation
>> aviable, I'm just waiting for the features I need ;-)
>
> I beg to differ here... :-(

As you like, but again there's nothing that the man pages can do for the
lack of ordered shutdown or different criteria and maybe powershare.
So, I'll keep waiting for the features. :-)

Regards,
Marco Chiappero