[Nut-upsuser] ups.delay.shutdown clarification

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Feb 25 19:31:33 UTC 2009

Citeren Des Dougan <des op DouganConsulting.com>:

> A client of mine has an APC Back-UPS 350 model (USB connected). His
> office had a power incident yesterday, where there was an interruption
> of about 30 seconds. During that time, the server shut down. As soon
> as it went on battery, the daemon initiated a shutdown. In checking it
> today, I see the ups.delay.shutdown setting is -1. I tried to adjust
> it, but could not do so.
>
> What does the "-1" setting mean?

It means no shutdown delay value has been configured. I already wrote
that we'll need the NUT version and OS to determine what *exactly* is
going on.

> I Googled, but couldn't find anything
> relevant. Am I correct in assuming it is this setting that caused the
> immediate shutdown?

No, the decision to shut the system down is unrelated to the
ups.delay.shutdown value. Most likely (but see the note above), the
UPS firmware is broken and it signals low battery right after the
power is lost. NUT has no other option than to initiate system
shutdown in that case. Note that the Back-UPS 350 is a *very* small
entry level UPS that really shouldn't be used for anything other than
small desktop systems.

> Today, the UPS shows a load of 35, via the upsc
> command, so it doesn't appear it was overloaded.

Maybe, maybe not. The only way to conclusively tell why NUT decided to
shutdown the system is to run the driver in debug mode. It will
probably confirm the above.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list