[Nut-upsuser] Belkin 800VA Universal AVR doesn't warn about battery

Gasper Kozak gasper.kozak at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 20:42:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently using a Belkin UPS (
http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=137904) with
nut, and my notify script doesn't receive a low battery warning. I receive
ONBATT and ONLINE, but not any battery low message.

I've run upsmon -D and I've seen it polls the ups.status property. The
problem seems to be that this UPS doesn't put LB (I guess that should stand
for low battery) in the status. Even when the battery is at 7%, the status
is still OB DISCHRG. If upsmon parses only this property, it's bound to miss
LB message.

Here are the battery variables, reported by upsc:
battery.charge: 53
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.charge.warning: 30

Since battery.charge.low and battery.charge.warning settings are read-only,
and LB doesn't get reported via ups.status, I'm guessing the latter two of
these are just advisory -- rather silly, but I guess that's it. Maybe upsmon
should watch these as well?

I've bypassed this problem by writing my own monitor that triggers the LB
event and shuts down the somputer. The question is: did I miss something
important? Is it supposed to work this way?

I'm using nut-2.2.0, which is an older version, so this may well be the
problem, but I'm on Centos and the only rpms I've found for 2.4 didn't work.

Best regards,
Gasper