[Nut-upsuser] Usbhip-ups going wild

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:40:34 UTC 2009

salut Antoine,

2009/7/31 Antoine Gatineau <antoine.gatineau at alcatel-lucent.com>

> I might ask a stupid question but isn't hal used to manage the UPS device
> and connection through udev rules?
> I though that hal was mostly usefull with usb...
>
> In the nut-hal document, it is said that HAL "allows NUT drivers to feed
> the
> HAL system, which will itself feeds
> applications such as the Gnome Power Manager"
> Does that mean hal is not used for managing the battery itself but sees the
> nut driver as a "pseudo real  battery"? In this case, indeed, I do not need
> it.
> I use upsmon for power management.

not at all. there are 2 approaches:
- the standard one, where you have a driver (usbhid-ups), upsd and upsmon.
udev only applies the device privileges rules.
- the Integrated Power Management approach, where NUT USB driver can feed
data to HAL (instead of upsd), replacing the basic USB/HID support in HAL.
Note that HAL is being superseded by DeviceKit and DeviceKit-power.
This approach will probably be abandonned...

use that one.
install it and edit the spec.
modifying --with-all by --with-usb should be sufficient.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops