[Nut-upsuser] Belkin support?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 03:08:05 UTC 2009

On Sunday 31 May 2009, Charles Lepple wrote:
>On May 31, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [myups]
>> 	driver = mydriver
>> 	port = /dev/ttyS1
>> 	cable = 1234
>> 	desc = "A POS Belkin"
>> #
>> # To find out if your driver supports any extra settings, start it
>> with
>> # the -h option and/or read the driver's documentation.
>> -----------------
>> I now see the port is wrong, and should probably be /dev/ttyUSB1, as
>> zero is
>> busy here, with heyu.  However, fixing that makes zero difference.
>
>Actually, for the usbhid-ups driver (with only one UPS on a machine), /
>etc/nut/boils down to:
>
>###########
>[myups]
>	driver = usbhid-ups
>	port = auto
>	desc = "Whatever floats your boat"
>###########

Made no diff when I pasted that in & erased the other, sorry.

>"port" does not matter here, it just has to be something (the Linux /
>dev/bus/usb addresses change based on what order things are plugged
>in, as well as the kernel version and phase of the moon).
>
>The key to your setup is specifying "usbhid-ups" as the driver name.
>
>Out of curiosity, do you get any more detail from 'lsusb -vv' if you
>run it as root?

I don't think I've noticed as I rarely run as a user, only when working with a
new amanda install, or working on my email setup.  That all runs as un-
privileged users.  Basic security, proof of everything but my short, aged,
diabetic & occasionally a bit shaky fingers.  They will be 75 in October. :)
With dd-wrt standing at the net doorway with both armour and heavy duty
firepower, I haven't been touched in years.  Best kept firewall secret in the
business I think.

The -vv is hugely verbose, the rest of that entry I posted is another 100 or
more lines & I didn't figure it was germane to the discussion, so I snipped
the paste.  And I just tried it as gene, and was denied access to much of the
lsusb output.  It did see the ups though.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

We all like praise, but a hike in our pay is the best kind of ways.