[Nut-upsuser] Nut with megatec_usb

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Fri Mar 6 11:59:26 UTC 2009

Citeren Gabriel Hahmann <gabriel.hahmann op gmail.com>:

> I tried your sugestion, changing the protocol to megatec and putting the
> port with /dev/ttyUSB0.
>
> This didn't work, the output is as follows:
>
> root op comserver:/lib/nut# ./megatec -a sms -DDDDDD
> Network UPS Tools 2.2.1- - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.13 [megatec]
> Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2007
>
> debug level is '6'
> Starting UPS detection process...
> Asking for UPS status [Q1]...
> Q1 => FAILED [timeout]
> Asking for UPS status [Q1]...
> Q1 => FAILED [timeout]
> Asking for UPS status [Q1]...
> Q1 => FAILED [timeout]
> Asking for UPS status [Q1]...
> Q1 => FAILED [timeout]
> Asking for UPS status [Q1]...
> Q1 => FAILED [timeout]
> 5 out of 5 detection attempts failed (minimum failures: 2).
> Megatec protocol UPS not detected.

Assuming that the usbserial port is working correctly (there have been
issues with m8_cypress in some kernels in the past), it doesn't look
like this device is speaking Megatec/Q1 protocol. If you upgrade NUT,
you might also try out the blazer_ser driver, which also speaks some
variations. But it might very well be something completely different.

> I think that maybe, this version doesn't use the megatec protocol, maybe
> some variation. Could you or somebody help me to find wich protocol this
> nobreak uses? I have another server running the windows version of the
> manuftaturer software, maybe I could sniff or find something. The old
> version of this manufturer with serial interface uses megatec.

Sniffing the output on a Windows box while monitoring the UPS might
indeed help us finding out which protocol it uses. If you need
instructions on how to do that (for either USB or RS-232 connections),
search the archives.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list