[Nut-upsuser] NUT and Ablerex MARS 3000RT

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Mar 11 20:18:26 UTC 2009

Citeren Snoopy Great <great.snoopy op gmail.com>:

> Well, the value should not be static, could it be a data parsing error ?

No.

> 1. Manuel  has the same ups model, and the charge level showed by nut is not
> constant. However he seems to be running the initial version from svn.

Maybe he read the man page for this driver (or was advised by someone
on this list) to setup the 'battvolts' parameter for this UPS. If you
didn't configure that, chances are that it will always report 100%
charge, since it might fail to determine the battery low and high
levels. The UPS doesn't report these and the driver may fail to
correctly guess them. See the man page where this is explained.

> 2. I have 2 identical UPS, I think it's quite improbable that both are
> defective and send a constant value for both charge level and voltage.

The UPS doesn't report the charge level, the Megatec/Q1 protocol
doesn't have support for that (yet). It can only report battery
voltage at the moment. From that, a charge is estimated. Since this
only uses the reported battery voltage, this is notoriously unreliable.

> 3. The original ups software seems to show variable values for those
> parameters, but this point I'll have to test a little later (the ups is in
> production, and it's a little harder to
> make experiments changing the software and/or disconnecting the main power
> supply to force ups in OB mode).
>
> Is there any chance something else changed between Manuel's version and mine
> that could explain the misreading ?

NUT version? It might also help to upgrade to the latest NUT version
and try out the 'blazer_ser' driver. Make sure to read the man page
for it, since in some cases it needs some help in setting the right
parameters for your UPS.

If you feed it the right parameters, it will also do a much better job
in guesstimating charge left while running on battery. And looking at
the data you provided, it will at least do a better job in determining
the number of cells in the battery.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list