[Nut-upsuser] Battery test feature of APC Back-UPS RS series

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Mon May 18 15:57:52 UTC 2009

Salut Arnaud,

On Mon, 18 May 2009 16:14:47 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> ahah, hem, well to be serious, the game is to identify the report used when
> doing a battery test.
> so the best would be to only fire usbsnoop when doing that, in order to find
> the frame more easily and the matching report.

OK, I managed to get a slightly shorter capture file:

http://jdelvare.pck.nerim.net/linux/usbsnoop-apc-back-ups-rs800-battery-test-2.log

I don't think I'll be able to make it shorter, as the application takes
some time to initialize after I plug the UPS, and only then I can start
the battery test. And the battery test itself takes several seconds.

I have a hard time believing that so many data flies over the USB wire
when the application is basically doing nothing.

The USB sniffer I am using [1] is not exactly user-friendly. I have to
restart the system for every new capture (otherwise I am unable to
reset the capture file), and the capture doesn't end when I exit the
application. It is also not possible to manually start or stop the
capture. Is there any better USB sniffer application you would
recommend?

[1] http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/

--
Jean Delvare