[Nut-upsuser] Battery test feature of APC Back-UPS RS series

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:01:20 UTC 2009

salut Jean,

2009/5/18 Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org>

> Salut Arnaud,
>
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 16:14:47 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > ahah, hem, well to be serious, the game is to identify the report used
> when
> > doing a battery test.
> > so the best would be to only fire usbsnoop when doing that, in order to
> find
> > the frame more easily and the matching report.
>
> OK, I managed to get a slightly shorter capture file:

slightly, yeah ;-)

> http://jdelvare.pck.nerim.net/linux/usbsnoop-apc-back-ups-rs800-battery-test-2.log
>
> I don't think I'll be able to make it shorter, as the application takes
> some time to initialize after I plug the UPS, and only then I can start
> the battery test. And the battery test itself takes several seconds.
>
> I have a hard time believing that so many data flies over the USB wire
> when the application is basically doing nothing.

this is the nature of USB: automagic handshake between the device and the
host means that there are some data exchange (the descriptors that describes
the device, its capabilities and how to interact with it).

> The USB sniffer I am using [1] is not exactly user-friendly. I have to
> restart the system for every new capture (otherwise I am unable to
> reset the capture file), and the capture doesn't end when I exit the
> application. It is also not possible to manually start or stop the
> capture. Is there any better USB sniffer application you would
> recommend?

I don't know. I've not used windows for years...
maybe that one, but it's a shareware!
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/usb-monitor.html

does usbsnoop provides a waterfall view (like "tail -f"), in which case,
just copy / paste the exact few lines. Otherwise, it will requires more
investigations.

cheers,
Arnaud
--