[Nut-upsuser] This guy must be an idiot

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri May 29 02:54:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>        OK, can someone tell me what utterly moronic thing I am doing wrong?
>
>        I have two roughly identical Linux system running NUT, and one works
> properly.  The other almost does.  The second system works well once
> everything is up, but after booting, the system does not have connectivity
> to the UPS.

What do the logs say?

>  I have to manually run `upsdrvctl start backup`,
> `/etc/init.d/nut start`, and `upsd` to get NUT working.  Thereafter it works
> fine, whether anyone is logged in or not.  After a boot, however, I have to
> log in and kick-start it again.

Interesting, most systems are set up such that '/etc/init.d/nut start'
will run upsdrvctl and upsd. To restart, does it suffice to only run
'/etc/init.d/nut start'?

>        What am I missing? The S50nut symlink is in /etc/rc2.d, and both
> systems are at runlevel 2.  I set up the systems the very same way (as far
> as I can remember or tell), except that one employs driver = tripplite_usb
> in usb.conf and the other uses driver = usbhid-ups, plus the two have
> different backup names.  Otherwise, I think everything is the same.

One thing you can do to catch any subtle differences is to tar up the
/etc/nut directory on one machine, then extract it into /tmp on the
other machine, and use 'diff -Naur /etc/nut /tmp/nut' or whatnot.

--
- Charles Lepple