[Nut-upsuser] 2.6.31.4: USB/UPS connectivity issue on Intel DP55KG Motherboard [DEBUG logs included upsd/upsmon/usbhid-ups]

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Wed Oct 21 09:55:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:

> Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
>
>> could this be a result of setting pollfreq too low?
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/5043
>>
>> If this is not how pollfreq works, then I stand corrected - but if the
>> device is fully polled once every 30 seconds, and a power outage occurs in
>> that 30-second window, I would think that NUT would get an interrupt
>> report.
>
> In between full polls, we do quick polls every 'pollinterval' (default: 2
> seconds) to retrieve some info should the UPS not provide interrupt reports.
> Only NUT variables with the HU_FLAG_QUICK_POLL will be retrieved then, which
> typically means that we only need to refresh two or three reports (since
> status bits are usually aggregated in one or two reports), which limits the
> load to the UPS.
>
> Setting the pollfreq to 5 seconds is counter productive here, since this will
> only increase the amount of reports to retrieve (which is something some UPS
> devices can't handle), while the things Justin is interested in will already
> be polled every 2 seconds anyway.

Hello,

Even without the poll option, the error persists, but it takes longer to
trigger (3-5 minutes vs. 1-2 minutes @ 5 second follreq)

Broadcast Message from nut at p34.internal.lan
         (somewhere) at 5:54 ...

Communications with UPS apc at localhost lost

Broadcast Message from nut at p34.internal.lan
         (somewhere) at 5:54 ...

Communications with UPS apc at localhost established

$ cat /etc/nut/ups.conf

# USB:
[apc]
         driver = usbhid-ups