[Nut-upsuser] Selftest intervall, APC Smart-UPS 750 RM

Markus Wildi wildi.markus at bluewin.ch
Sun Sep 6 15:52:26 UTC 2009

Hello Arnaud

On Sunday 06 September 2009 15:44:58 you wrote:
> 2009/9/5 Markus Wildi
>
> > Good morning Arnaud
>
> hi Markus
>
> > find attached the output of the driver (debug level 5).
> >

> > Here is an output of apcupsd command apcaccess status
> >

> > https://azug.minpet.unibas.ch/wikiobsvermes/index.php/Apcupsd#Useful_Comm
> >ands
> >
> > Have a look at
> > LASTXFER : Low line voltage
> >
> > and here an excerpt of the log file
> >
> > Feb 19 17:28:51 obsvermes apcupsd[2055]: UPS Self Test switch to battery.
> > Feb 19 17:28:58 obsvermes apcupsd[2055]: UPS Self Test completed: Battery
> > OK
>
> ok, I see why: currently, there are few values that are not mapped due to
> the boolean mechanism used in usbhid-ups to process (either outvolt or
> outfreq or nothing).
> these values are commented in the code (your unit is currently reporting "5
> => self test"):
>
> /* these input.transfer.reason can't be mapped at the moment... */
>     { 3, "ripple", NULL },        /* Ripple */
>     { 5, "self test", NULL },    /* Self Test or Discharge Calibration
> commanded
>                                  * Test usage, front button, or 2 week self
> test */
>     { 6, "forced", NULL },        /* DelayBeforeShutdown or
> APCDelayBeforeShutdown */
>     { 10, "forced", NULL },        /* Graceful shutdown by accessories */
>     { 11, "self test", NULL },    /* Test usage invoked */
>     { 12, "self test", NULL },    /* Front button initiated self test */
>     { 13, "self test", NULL },    /* 2 week self test */
>
> adding support for these would means changing some more code, and I'm not
> sure it's forth just for reporting the above...

Ok, that is a decision you have to take. But from my point of view I think
it is a good information specifically if the self-test did not pass. That
event should go to a log file.

> moreover, the data you reported are not coherent: considering the log file,
> LASTXFER should have the value "Self Test" and not "Low line voltage"...

That is correct. The wiki link provides an output to show you, what apcupsd
reports on my UPS. The excerpt of the log file reports the self test.

> just to be sure, apart from transfer.reason, everything is equivalent to
> apcupsd?
I'm not the UPS expert and to me it appears ok.
> btw, what is that eeprom thing in apcupsd? is it equivalent to upsrw?
I checked the current release of apcupsd and I do not find a command
eeprom any more. There is no target named eeprom in the Makefiles.
I know, that it did not work properly but I remember
that it is used to store values directly in the UPS's eeprom.

bye, wildi