[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups driver can't be killed...

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 11:33:08 UTC 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Frédéric Marchal wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm encountering a big problem with usbhid-ups driver : the driver
> hangs after loading some other modules (stale data message) !
> And we can't restart it.
>
> We load :
> i2c-piix4
> adm1021
> adm9240
> lm75
>
> The unloading of the modules doesn't solve the problem.

There is no direct connection between the kernel i2c drivers and
userspace programs that interface to USB devices.

The only potential connection is that your USB root hub might be part
of the same peripheral chip as the i2c bus master (PIIX4-compatible).

> After I've unplugged the ups from the usb port, lsusb has hanged too !

Definitely sounds like a kernel problem. When things are working
properly, lsusb should not hang.

The best place to debug this is probably with your Linux distribution
support channels (and you will need to give them much more specific
information about your kernel version). There may be an interrupt
issue with the i2c drivers. If you have another way of getting the
sensor information (such as IPMI) you might want to look into that
instead.