[Nut-upsuser] One little thing not quite correct in my configuration

James Moody moody at pfcusa.org
Wed Sep 9 15:16:59 UTC 2009

Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:36 AM, James Moody wrote:
>
>> All of this work is being done on the system that has the UPS - I'm
>> not trying to do any network monitoring yet. The symptom is that when
>> I try to use 'upsc' I get the failure message "Error: server
>> disconnected" on the console, and this line in /var/log/daemon.log:
>> <date/name> upsd[4899]: Rejecting TCP connection from 127.0.0.1
>>
>> My current suspicion is I don't have the upsd.users file set up quite
>> correctly. Questions:
>> (1) are the users listed in upsd.conf real system users (ie, as
>> listed in /etc/passwd file), or are they just defined within nut.
>
> Completely separate from /etc/passwd.
Good.  One form of samba authentication requires that the samba users
must be legitimate linux users as well. I was wondering if maybe
something like that was going on here with nut.  Grasping at straws, you
know.

Here's my entire 'upsd.users' contents:
[nutmon]
    password = mypassword
    allowfrom = local
    upsmon master

Here's my entire 'upsmon.conf' file (though I'm not sure how this comes
in to play with upsc):
MONITOR cyber at localhost 1 nutmon mypassword master

Are there other entries I need to add? All I want to do at this point is
verify that 'upsc cyber' will work.

>> I'm running an Ubuntu 8.10 server, and the latest release of nut
>> available through the package manager.
>
> Is that 2.2.2-6ubuntu1?

Correct.  Any thoughts on what I might try, or errors to look for?

--Jim