[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite Eco Series UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 00:29:13 UTC 2009

On Sep 20, 2009, at 8:07 PM, Lindsey Chesnutt wrote:

> Right now I'm running into some issues with what I think are the
> permissions on the USB bus. I can load everything as root and get data
> from the UPS. I'll run the test as soon as I get the permissions
> straightened out.

The original Ubuntu NUT package has the necessary udev scripts to
change ownership of the UPS's USB device to the "nut" system user, but
these scripts are limited to the USB Product IDs that we know about
when that version of NUT is released.

You can add the following line to scripts/udev/nut-usbups.rules.in,
then run 'make nut-usbups.rules' in scripts/udev:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="09ae", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1008", MODE="664",
GROUP="@RUN_AS_GROUP@"

I believe the "nut-usbups.rules" file (not the .in file) gets
installed in /etc/udev/rules.d as "52-nut-usbups.rules".

There is also a 'refresh' command for udev, but it may be simpler just
to unplug and replug the UPS after installing the .rules file.

--
Charles Lepple