[Nut-upsuser] Powerware 5115 USB Issue

Rich Wrenn rwrenn at ddn.com
Mon Sep 21 19:21:16 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Powerware 5115 to communicate with the NUT via USB under Debian Linux and need help.

Here is the output that I see.

co-nh5:/tmp/mnt/projects/pwusb/nut-2.4.1# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl -u root start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.21 (2.4.1)
USB communication subdriver 0.17
Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): COMMAND: 31

RECONNECT USB DEVICE

Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): COMMAND: 31

RECONNECT USB DEVICE

Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): COMMAND: 31

RECONNECT USB DEVICE

Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): COMMAND: 31

RECONNECT USB DEVICE

Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): COMMAND: 31

RECONNECT USB DEVICE

Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
Could not communicate with the ups: Inappropriate ioctl for device
CLOSING

Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
co-nh5:/tmp/mnt/projects/pwusb/nut-2.4.1# lsusb -s 2:4 -v

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 06da:0002 Phoenixtec Power Co., Ltd
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x06da Phoenixtec Power Co., Ltd
  idProduct          0x0002
  bcdDevice            1.20
  iManufacturer           4 Powerware
  iProduct               24 Powerware UPS
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x40
      (Missing must-be-set bit!)
      Self Powered
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              20
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
co-nh5:/tmp/mnt/projects/pwusb/nut-2.4.1#

So, I am able to see basic information through lsusb, but I am not able to get bcmxcp_ups to establish communication with the 5115.  Also, I am able to get LanSafe to communicate with the UPS via USB under WindowsXP and I have tried two different Powerware 5115 boxes.  I have verified the USB cable and the USB port on the host and they are both operating.  I have also tested the host interface and libusb with custom software layered on libhid (on top of libusb) that operates with a Powerware 5125 and that operates correctly (of course I can't use libhid with the 5115).

Here is some additional basic information:
Linux 2.6.25
The distribution is based on Debian 4.1.1-21
The NUT version is 2.4.1
The libusb version is 0.1-4 a.k.a. 0.1.12

Any help that you can provide would be appreciated,
Rich