[Nut-upsuser] Belkin Regulator Pro dropping connection and halting

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 13:30:41 UTC 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:42 AM, John Bayly wrote:

> I've a Belkin Regulator Pro (F6C1400-EUR) connected via serial to a
> FreeBSD machine using NUT v.2.4.3
>
> Sometimes I get a series of logged messages saying that the data is
> switching between stale and valid, this in itself isn't an issue,
> however occasionally when the communication is re-established,
> upsmon gets a "On battery" message followed quickly by "Battery low"
> message, and calls on the system to halt. I know for a fact that the
> battery isn't low at any stage, as other UPSs have not reported a
> loss of power. This behaviour has only started occurring since using
> NUT rather than Belkin Bulldog (not supported on FreeBSD x64).

I would suggest temporarily disabling the automated shutdown (maybe
replacing it with some sort of notification), and running the driver
with debugging enabled; however, there don't seem to be many
upsdebugx() calls in the code.

The get_belkin_reply() function looks fragile to me. Three seconds
should be enough to fill the buffer, but if you put a few upsdebugx()
calls around ser_get_buf_len(), it should be evident whether the read
is timing out, or if there is a problem with the format of the response.

--
Charles Lepple