[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower Value 2200E-GP

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Dec 18 08:45:04 UTC 2010

Citeren David Varley <davidavarley op gmail.com>:

> Arjen, now I'm a bit confused. In your script you are saying to shut down
> nut before issuing the upsdrvctl command to tell the UPS to start a delayed
> shutdown.

Yes.

> But as shutting down nut causes the usbhid-ups driver to exit, I
> thought that would prevent the command being sent to the UPS?

There are two ways to make a UPS kill it's output:

- send a command to a backgrounded driver through upsd to tell it to
shutdown (through the web interface or upscmd for instance)
- starting the driver with '-k' flag on the command line (this is the
method that upsdrvctl shutdown uses, see 'man 8 nutupsdrv')

> I know that if
> I just have the upsdrvctl shutdown command without telling the nut service
> to exit, the UPS shuts down after the 60 second delay.

There will be two drivers fighting for control over the same UPS. This
will not work at all for serial devices (since the port will be locked
by the backgrounded driver). In case of USB connected ones, you might
be lucky that the driver started with the '-k' flag will have control
over the USB interface long enough to send the shutdown command, but
this is not reliable. You should not take your chances here.

> I can understand
> adding the delay after giving the shutdown command and before stopping the
> services, but not the other way around. What am I missing here?

You missed reading the docs/suspend-to-disk.txt file, where it is
explained how you should set this up. If you want to know the details
about this, start reading the remainder of the documents in docs/
before asking.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)