[Nut-upsuser] NUT with Cyber Power 700 AVR

Thomas Jensen tom.jensen at digitaltoolbox-inc.com
Tue Feb 23 04:39:59 UTC 2010

I recently purchased a Cyber Power 700 AVR UPS. I installed it just fine
and wanted to install NUT to monitor the unit.

I searched the mailing
list and found a similar post. However, the distro used in that post was
different and the unit was slightly different (900 AVR).

My server is
running Debian Lenny. The Cyber Power UPS is connect to one of the serial
ports using the cable that came with the unit. This is the first time I
have used serial ports on the server. There are two on the back. Despite
trying them both, I have yet to succeed in my installation.

The ups.conf
file contains:

[server]

 driver = cyberpower

 port = /dev/ttyS0

desc = "Server"

When I run the following command, I get:

server:#
upsdrvctl start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2

Network
UPS Tools - CyberPower driver 1.00 (2.2.2)

Giving up on hardware
detection after 3 tries

Unable to get initial hardware info string

Driver failed to start (exit status=1)  I did add the user "nut" to the
"dialout" group. Below are permissions on the serial devices:   server:# ls
-l /dev | grep ttyS crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2010-02-22 22:52 ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 2010-02-22 23:01 ttyS1 crw-rw---- 1 root
dialout 4, 66 2010-02-22 21:47 ttyS2 crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 67