[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 500 USB power failure problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 05:53:19 UTC 2010

On Monday 04 January 2010, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>Dimitris Mandalidis wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesn't mean much - if you're only getting 30 seconds of runtime your
>>> batteries aren't healthy (or you've massively overloaded the UPS).
>>
>> Probably it 's overloaded (pentium3 + amd athlon x2 + net switch +
>> external HD). However, most of the time and that's when I need the UPS
>> there's no activity on these (no one is doing anything) and there's an
>> overload LED indicator after all. I can understand that battery LED
>> indicator can be unreliable but I dont think the same applies to the
>> overload LED.
>>
>> So, one vote for the battery :)
>
>    If you've never replaced the batteries in 8 years, they are dead for
>sure. The normal life expectancy of batteries ( _if_ you behave, for
>instance not keep them too warm or completely drain them repeatedly )
>does not exceed 2-3 (maybe 4 if you are lucky) years. After that they
>_seem_ to be OK but actually they are not. Similar phenomenon happened
>here 6 months ago.

I agree.  I just had to dismantle the whole frame of a Belkin F6C-100 to get
some 4 year old batteries out of it.  They hadn't leaked enough to hurt
anything, but they were swelled up as if they were wet batteries at -60F and
wedged into place quite snuggly.  It had died a year ago, and I decided I
could afford $80 for a set of new ones since I wasn't able to see any
overheated/smoked parts, just a stiff cooling fan that probably baked them to
a quite well done state.