[Nut-upsuser] Eaton/MGE 1500 Ellipse + NUT 2.4.1 on openSUSE 11.2

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Wed Mar 3 13:34:19 UTC 2010

Hi, The Eaton/MGE Pulsar Ellipse ASR 1500 USBS runs well with NUT
2.4.1 on openSUSE 11.2, and I expect that many other Eaton/MGE UPS's
will also run equally well, but this is not a simple "click and go"
experience.  Since it takes a while to set up and test a process for
automatic system stutdown, I thought it might be useful to others to
see my notes on the "pessimistic strategy" setup I use.
http://rogerprice.org/NUT.html

It seems to me that there are two basic strategies for stopping a
server when power fails:

Optimist: Keep going as long as possible with the available battery
power. When the battery charge drops to 30%, stop the server. This
is the most common strategy. When power comes back, restart the
server and hope that power will last long enough to at least
partially recharge the battery.

Pessimist: Shut down quickly as soon as power fails. When power
comes back, restart the server, but be ready to stop again as soon
as the power fails again. Hope to be able to stop as often as the
power fails.

Since I live in a region with frequent short power outages, I choose
the pessimist strategy.

Roger