[Nut-upsuser] still no nut at reboot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:37:40 UTC 2010

On Monday, November 15, 2010 11:30:32 am Charles Lepple did opine:

[...]
> > I have attached it as it exists now.
>
> Backing up a bit, what is your overall goal of setting nutuser=gene?

So I could control it as the user I normally run as.  That's fixable of
course.  But would that not mean I would have to become root to cause it to
do a shutdown?

> We generally recommend setting up separate user and group IDs for nut
> (like the nut/ups pair) because it isolates the permissions a bit. As
> I mentioned, you will still be able to query NUT with upsc over the
> loopback network interface (and even from the local network, given the
> appropriate upsd.conf configuration directives), but if you set up NUT
> to run as your everyday username, that defeats some of the isolation.

I see.  I'll change the $nutuser to 'ups' then & test after amanda has
finished the catchup script, I'd druther not do a test shutdown in the
middle of that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)