[Nut-upsuser] still no nut at reboot

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:22:41 UTC 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday, November 15, 2010 11:30:32 am Charles Lepple did opine:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> I have attached it as it exists now.
>>
>> Backing up a bit, what is your overall goal of setting nutuser=gene?
>>
> So I could control it as the user I normally run as.  That's fixable
> of
> course.

For controlling access to the read/write variables and commands, see
"man upsd.users". As mentioned, if you want to prevent someone from
reading status, you would need to firewall the NUT port. (The
upsd.users construct exists because the notion of system userids is
very specific to a single system, so there needs to be a way to
specify rights for remote connections.)

> But would that not mean I would have to become root to cause it to
> do a shutdown?

There is a discussion of how things work in "man upsmon", but
basically, you start it as root, and it keeps a root-privileged
process around that listens to a pipe from the unprivileged process.