[Nut-upsuser] How to change shutdown delay time?

Thomas H. George lists at tomgeorge.info
Mon Nov 15 18:05:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 08:43:45PM +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren "Thomas H. George" <lists at tomgeorge.info>:
>
> >Can upsmon be set to shutdown the system immediately upon sensing a
> >power failure?
>
> Yes.
>
> >I just installed nut on my Debian Squeeze system, connected it to a
> >Cyperpower ups and edited /etc/nut/ups.conf and upsmon.conf.  On system
> >reboot upsd and upsmon were started.
> >
> >I would like an immediate orderly system shutdown and power down upon a
> >power failure.
> >
> >I pulled the power plug and the system continued running on battery
> >power.
>
> This is by design and described in the FAQ that comes with NUT:

>  Q: Why doesn't upsmon shut down my system?  I pulled the plug and nothing
>     happened.

Thanks, I had overlooked this FAQ entry.

I still have a problem, however.  I read upssched.txt.gz, edited
upsmon.con, found upssched in /sbin, and started to edit upssched.conf
but there is no file upssched.pipe in my system.

Also the section on LOCKFIN is not entirely clear.
I assume the instruction "You should put this in the same directory as
PIPEFIN" means only use the same path and LOCKFIN will create and remove
the file name it is given.

As to why I would want to do this I admit I am now in doubt.  I bought
the smallest ups available as all I want it to do is orderly shut down
the system upon a power failure if I am not present.  Why run the
battery down?  But what kind of battery is in the case?  If it is the
kind with a memory then maximum capacity is preserved by full discharges
between recharging. In that case it will be best to wait for the low battery voltage
signal. Since the battery can't keep the system up for more than ten
minutes, maybe I am wasting my time fooling with this setup.

Tom
create and destroy a file named upssched.lock and the instruction "You
should put this in the same directory as PIPEFIN" means only that