[Nut-upsuser] still no nut at reboot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:07:49 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:57:02 am Charles Lepple did opine:

> On Nov 15, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, November 15, 2010 11:30:32 am Charles Lepple did opine:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Backing up a bit, what is your overall goal of setting nutuser=gene?
> >
> > So I could control it as the user I normally run as.  That's fixable
> > of
> > course.
>
> For controlling access to the read/write variables and commands, see
> "man upsd.users". As mentioned, if you want to prevent someone from
> reading status, you would need to firewall the NUT port. (The
> upsd.users construct exists because the notion of system userids is
> very specific to a single system, so there needs to be a way to
> specify rights for remote connections.)
>
> > But would that not mean I would have to become root to cause it to
> > do a shutdown?
>
> There is a discussion of how things work in "man upsmon", but
> basically, you start it as root, and it keeps a root-privileged
> process around that listens to a pipe from the unprivileged process.

Before I start on those scripts again, can you clarify this line in the
status output for me?
ups.load: 31

Its a 1500 WA rated supply.  If that is the percentage of the max load it
can support, then there obviously is plenty of margin available to extend a
drop cord to a legacy computer in the basement that normally runs headless
because I usually work on it from here with a minicom session to a shell
started to a serial port on it.  That would help protect it from locally
induced lightning cause emp's, which have caused degraded usb hubs in the
past.  However, that load would have to include a brother B&W laser
printer, and they are hungry, with dim the lights startup draws.  Humm.  I
think I just shot that idea down in flames.

If that is a percentage, the report should add a % to that line in the next
incarnation. ;)
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)