[Nut-upsuser] OT: gadget to display time remaining

Jon Bendtsen jbendtsen at laerdal.dk
Tue Nov 30 14:05:30 UTC 2010

On 30/11/2010, at 14.57, Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2010, at 8:27 AM, Douglas Parsons wrote:
>
>> Primary goals:
>>       UPS(s) and Server(s) automatically talk together with no need for configuration using just 1 cable, the power cable, without the need for new special power cables
>>

>> Don't forget not all UPS have computers connected to them but still need to be monitored for state and condition.
>
> Doug: it sounds like you and Jon B are trying to solve different problems.

I am not sure so sure. I think that Doug reminded me that I might have a switch/router UPS with no servers on it, and how am I supposed to monitor that then using my idea?

Quick fixes I can think of is
	retain old usb/serial monitor system
	put a homeplug on it with the network cable plugged into a server and run some software on that server to monitor it.

> Arjen mentioned something similar before: if you want to see the status of a single UPS without involving a computer, there are UPSes with displays on the front. For instance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070 (disclaimer: haven't tried this product.)
>
> Jon: if you want plug-and-play without a separate data cable, that is a different set of design criteria from James' original post. Powerline networking hasn't really caught on in mainstream computing, but HomePlug might be a good starting point.

I know it is a different set.

I know powerline networking has not caught on, but I think that is only because there was no need. I do take it exactly as a starting point, and I used that to avoid redesigning a new protocol and hardware.

JonB