[Nut-upsuser] Getting "Error: No such host" and [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Sep 30 21:06:45 UTC 2010

Citeren Roger Price <roger op rogerprice.org>:

> I added [::1] to the upsd line in /etc/hosts.allow
>
> upsd :  10.0.0/24, localhost, LOCAL, 127.0.0.1, [::1] : ALLOW
>
> and then ran command "rcupsd restart" to restart NUT.

The latter is a waste of effort. This is not how tcp-wrappers works.

[...]

> The man page for upsmon.conf currently says for the MONITOR directive:
>
>> MONITOR system powervalue username password type
>
>> Each UPS that you need to be monitor should have a MONITOR line.
>> Not all of these need supply power to the system that is running
>> upsmon.  You may monitor other systems if you want to be able to
>> send notifications about status changes on them.
>> You must have at least one MONITOR directive in this file.
>>    system is a UPS identifier.  It is in this form:
>
> Perhaps it would be worthwhile adding the following note to this description
>
>> Note. The hostname "localhost" you specify here cannot be relied on
>> as the only possible hostname in access control file hosts.allow.
>> You may also need to specify other possible identities for local
>> system, for example "upsd : localhost, LOCAL, 127.0.0.1, [::1] :
>> ALLOW". See also hosts_access(5) and hosts_options(5).
>
> The SEE ALSO for upsmon.conf refers to upsmon(8), upsd(8),
> nutupsdrv(8). I suggest adding hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5) and
> maybe tcpd(8).

This has nothing to do with upsmon(.conf). The connection is rejected
by the upsd server. In the upsd(8) man page there is already a
reference to hosts_access(5). Sadly this isn't very specific about
systems running both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time.

The hosts_options(5) and tcpd(8) provide no useful information for
people setting up NUT with tcp-wrappers. The problem you're seeing
here is common for applications that use tcp-wrappers and really
should be fixed by packagers (by adding a line to the /etc/hosts.allow
file).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)