[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart UPS at a Mac Mini

Wolfgang Hottgenroth wolfgang at hottgenroth.net
Wed Aug 31 08:58:24 UTC 2011

If you don't have an UPS with an USB port but only with a serial port and if you want to feed multiple devices from that UPS and want to shutdown them triggered by a master the UPS is connected to, you have to, unfortunately.
I know the panel in the system preferences you are talking about, but it appears only when you attach the UPS via USB (direct USB, not via an serial to USB converter as I do). And thereby it does not appear for me.
I've installed nut via macports and I have to do all these low level stuff on my own. However, the benefit is, that I can trigger the shutdown of my 8T-ReadyNAS too. (And that works fine, only the switch off of the UPS does not happen.)

Or do you know another way to handle this problem: UPS only attachable via serial port (or serial to USB converter) and distribution of the final shutdown command to multiple devices?

Cheers,
Wolfgang