[Nut-upsuser] Can't get iDowell to work

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 00:07:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 10 January 2011 12:19:34 you wrote:
>> Hi Mick
>>
>> 2011/1/9 Mick <michaelkintzios at gmail.com>
>
>> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17840 Jul 25 11:45 /usr/libexec/hald-addon-hid-ups
> [snip ...]
>
>> > Could any of the above be causing the clash?
>>
>> indeed, /usr/libexec/hald-addon-hid-ups which is part of UPower (integrated
>> power management), which is automatically launched when a new USB/HID UPS
>> is plugged.
>> since UPower is running as root, it will prevent usbhid-ups from claiming
>> back your UPS after software disconnection.
>> you may try to run nut as root to check if you still see the claim
>> interface failure.
>>
>> I'll have to check UPower, since iirc, it wasn't previously running as root
>> (or I'm maybe confusing with HAL...)
>
> So assuming that the new driver can now deal with my UPS, is this something
> that I'll have wait for to settle, as hal is deprecated and on a path to be
> replaced with upower?

The simple answer is you can only have one of the following attached
to your UPS: the HAL driver, or the normal NUT usbhid-ups driver.

If /usr/libexec/hald-addon-hid-ups is launched by UPower, you may have
to either disable UPower and use NUT's interface to shut down the
system, or use whatever UPower is doing these days.

--
- Charles Lepple