[Nut-upsuser] [Nut-upsdev] UPS on Freenas

Bobby Kent bpkent at wholeworldwindow.net
Sun Jul 3 02:04:21 UTC 2011

John,

For giggles I downloaded the iso and installed FreeNAS 8.0 into a virtual
machine, usbconfig is present:

%/usr/sbin/usbconfig -d ugen1.2 dump_device_desc
ugen1.2: <RALLY2 OCZ Technology> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps)
pwr=ON

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x0325
  idProduct = 0xac02
  bcdDevice = 0x1100
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <OCZ Technology>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <RALLY2>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

%

Note both Vendor and Product ID are reported.

Not sure how "pwd" will show the user one is logged in as, "whoami" is in
FreeNAS 8.0 and appears to behave in a similar fashion to other Unix/Linux
type OSs:

%whoami
Root
%

I don't know my way around FreeNAS so can't help you with setting up a new
thumb drive with version 8, I did notice that the "*.Full_Install.xv" files
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8/) are compressed
boot images that look like they ought to be able to be "dd"ed (or whatever
the FreeNAS equivalent is) to a drive.

Not sure an upgrade will help you much though, as Charles said:

"Also, the USB support in FreeBSD prior to 8.0 is not very usable from the
NUT perspective. No guarantees it will get better if you upgrade, but I had
a lot of problems trying to get tripplite_usb to work under FreeBSD 6.x and
7.x."