[Nut-upsuser] Using NUT to detect a normally closed circuit opening

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Jun 22 15:10:18 UTC 2011

Citeren James Smith <james.smith op jofco.com>:

> I now have everything in place and I get an email when the temp sensor opens
>
> Question - what do I set so the system doesn't shut down when the
> sensor stays open?

The system will only shutdown if you have an OB+LB event at the same
time. As long as you make sure the system sees either OB or LB, but
not both, you'll be fine.

> Can I just set SHUTDOWNCMD "" ?

This isn't needed.

Note that there is a fatal flaw in a setup where opening a contact
triggers an event. You'll have no way to verify that there is not a
short in your cable, short of raising the temperature periodically to
see if you see something changing.

I wouldn't recommend using a temperature switch for anything else than
a redundant over temperature kill switch, especially since USB
connected temperature sensors are very cheap nowadays. This would
allow you to monitor the health of your alarm system much easier.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)