[Nut-upsuser] UPS Support

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:32:57 UTC 2011

On Mar 14, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Williams, Josh B. wrote:

> I am currently trying to use your NUT program to monitor a
> SMART3000RMOD2U TRIPP LITE device.  I find that it connects with the
> in the device folder as hiddev0 and if I connect a second device it
> connects under hiddev1.

The /dev/hiddev* devices are a red herring, and will usually disappear
after you get the right NUT driver running.

> I attempted to use your software with the driver=usbhid-ups and
> port=auto, but when I try to discover it it can't be found.  Then
> when I run the command /sbin/usbhid-ups -a ups1 -D where ups1
> described the driver and port combination, I get the following output:
>
> This Tripp Lite device (09ae/3014) is not (yet) supported by usbhid-
> ups.
> Please make sure you have an up-to-date version of NUT. If this does
> not
> fix the problem, try to tun the driver with the '-x productid=3014'
> option.
> If this fails, try the tripplite_usb driver.  Please report your
> results to
> the NUT user's mailing list <nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org>

It looks like that device ID has been in usbhid-ups since 2008. What
version of NUT are you running?

For debugging, you can also try adding "-u root", since if that
version of NUT isn't aware of that particular model, it will not set
the permissions properly on the /dev/bus/usb node.