[Nut-upsuser] Powercom issues in NUT (was: PowerCom BNT2000AT ups on nut 2.6.0 - second try)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 17 07:54:30 UTC 2011

Dino, Alexey,

there are a number of users suffering issues with your Powercom devices.

Could you (Dino, and Keven if possible) please have a look at the below one,
from Angela, and check for a fix?

I've scheduled to release 2.6.1 next week, and having that fixed is part of
the list.

2011/5/16 Angela Williams <angierfw at gmail.com>

> Hi All
>
> On Friday 13 May 2011 at 14:46 Arnaud Quette :-
>
> > Hi Angela,
> >
> > sorry for not replying earlier, which doesn't mean that I'm considering
> > your issue.
> > only that the agenda is crowded, and that support queue need
> > consolidation...
>
> Thanks!
>
> > 2011/5/13 Angela Williams <angierfw at gmail.com>
> >
> > > Hi!
> > > Normally nut was just worked and worked for me!
> > > Not this time though!
> > >
> > > Distro is Gentoo withe latest nut-2.6.0 emerged today.
> > > Linux kernel version is 2.6.36
> > > UPS is PowerCom BNT2000AT
> > > "Driver" is powercom
> > > ups.conf looks like this! Okay so APC1 is not and APC!
> > >
> > >  [APC1]
> > >
> > >        driver = powercom
> > >        type = BNT
> > >        port = /dev/ttyS1
> > >        numOfBytesFromUPS = 16
> > >        methodOfFlowControl = no_flow_control
> > >        validationSequence = {{11,0x42},{8,0},{8,0}}
> > >        shutdownArguments = {{1,30},y}
> > >        modelname = BNT2000APT
> > >        serialnumber = 2233445566
> > >        desc = Computer Room Small UPS
> > >
> > > (...)
> >
> > a powercom patch has recently been submitted, and I had to first discuss
> > with the submitter about the possible fix of your issue with this patch:
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2011-May/005408.html
> >
> > so, this seems quite positive for you, though the validation will come
> once
> > the patch is merged, and tested on your side...
> >
> > note that the patch is there:
> >
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2011-April/005402.html
>
> Okay! I got the patched tarball, unpacked it, ran configure and make then
> make
> install. No probs!
>
> I tested the update driver and the result was still a validation error!
> This is the console debug output!
>
> gatekeeper nut #  /lib/nut/powercom -a APC1 -DDDDDDDDDDNetwork UPS Tools -
> PowerCom protocol UPS driver 0.13 (2.6.0-r2984)
>    0.000000     debug level is '10'
>    0.002388     Flow control disable
>   0.002561     Num of bytes requested for reading from UPS: 16
>   0.148057     Num of bytes received from UPS: 16
> Raw data from UPS:
>  0 0x10 ( )
>  1 0x64 (d)
>  2 0x68 (h)
>  3 0x68 (h)
>  4 0x32 (2)
>  5 0xff (ÿ)
>  6 0x32 (2)
>  7 0x00 ( )
>  8 0x00 ( )
>  9 0x04 ( )
> 10 0x00 ( )
> 11 0x4b (K)
> 12 0x98 ()
> 13 0x00 ( )
> 14 0x00 ( )
> 15 0x00 ( )
>    0.148222     data receiving error (validation check)

> [...]

I also don't know enough on this protocol to help :(
So, I've called to help from the manufacturer, and Keven who has worked a
bit on the driver.

cheers,
Arnaud
--