[Nut-upsuser] PowerCom BNT2000AT ups on nut 2.6.0 - second try

Angela Williams angierfw at gmail.com
Mon May 16 09:41:55 UTC 2011

Hi All

On Friday 13 May 2011 at 14:46 Arnaud Quette :-

> Hi Angela,
>
> sorry for not replying earlier, which doesn't mean that I'm considering
> your issue.
> only that the agenda is crowded, and that support queue need
> consolidation...

Thanks!

> 2011/5/13 Angela Williams <angierfw at gmail.com>
>
> > Hi!
> > Normally nut was just worked and worked for me!
> > Not this time though!
> >
> > Distro is Gentoo withe latest nut-2.6.0 emerged today.
> > Linux kernel version is 2.6.36
> > UPS is PowerCom BNT2000AT
> > "Driver" is powercom
> > ups.conf looks like this! Okay so APC1 is not and APC!
> >
> >  [APC1]
> >
> >        driver = powercom
> >        type = BNT
> >        port = /dev/ttyS1
> >        numOfBytesFromUPS = 16
> >        methodOfFlowControl = no_flow_control
> >        validationSequence = {{11,0x42},{8,0},{8,0}}
> >        shutdownArguments = {{1,30},y}
> >        modelname = BNT2000APT
> >        serialnumber = 2233445566
> >        desc = Computer Room Small UPS
> >
> > (...)
>
> a powercom patch has recently been submitted, and I had to first discuss
> with the submitter about the possible fix of your issue with this patch:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2011-May/005408.html
>
> so, this seems quite positive for you, though the validation will come once
> the patch is merged, and tested on your side...
>
> note that the patch is there:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2011-April/005402.html

Okay! I got the patched tarball, unpacked it, ran configure and make then make
install. No probs!

I tested the update driver and the result was still a validation error!
This is the console debug output!

gatekeeper nut #  /lib/nut/powercom -a APC1 -DDDDDDDDDDNetwork UPS Tools -
PowerCom protocol UPS driver 0.13 (2.6.0-r2984)
   0.000000     debug level is '10'
   0.002388     Flow control disable
   0.002561     Num of bytes requested for reading from UPS: 16
   0.148057     Num of bytes received from UPS: 16
Raw data from UPS:
 0 0x10 ( )
 1 0x64 (d)
 2 0x68 (h)
 3 0x68 (h)
 4 0x32 (2)
 5 0xff (ÿ)
 6 0x32 (2)
 7 0x00 ( )
 8 0x00 ( )
 9 0x04 ( )
10 0x00 ( )
11 0x4b (K)
12 0x98 ()
13 0x00 ( )
14 0x00 ( )
15 0x00 ( )
   0.148222     data receiving error (validation check)

So there you have it! No phix yet! My C knowledge is not at a higher enough
level to tackle on my own! I learnt just enough to get the feel of it! Just
like cobol, algol and other weird languages!

I can see the bit were the validation happens but I cannot get my head around
it! Seems it checks each byte in turn but then I'm lost! I really wish I could
hep a bit more!

Cheers
Ang

--