[Nut-upsuser] Possible support for Trust 1300VA LCD Management UPS?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:14:20 UTC 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 7:22 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> first, please keep the list posted. It's also probably better to use
> the
> users list, instead of the developers one...
>
> 2011/8/29 David Quinn <d_a_quinn at yahoo.com>
>
>> Arnaud,
>>
>> thanks for your reply. I am using @nut 2.6.1 according to macport.
>>
>> It seems that the problem i am having is permissions related. Here
>> is the
>> output I get…
>>
>> sudo blazer_usb -a trust-ups -DD -u root
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>   0.875195 Checking device (06DA/0003) (250/011)
>>   0.886514 - VendorID: 06da
>>   0.886526 - ProductID: 0003
>>   0.886530 - Manufacturer: CTN
>>   0.886534 - Product: USB UPS
>>   0.886537 - Serial Number: unknown
>>   0.886541 - Bus: 250
>>   0.886544 Trying to match device
>>   0.886554 Device matches
>>   0.886926 failed to claim USB device: Permission denied
>>   0.886937 failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: Function
>> not
>> implemented
>>   0.887260 failed to claim USB device: Permission denied
>>   0.887269 failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: Function
>> not
>> implemented
>>   0.887590 failed to claim USB device: Permission denied
>>   0.887598 failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: Function
>> not
>> implemented
>>   0.887919 failed to claim USB device: Permission denied
>>   0.887928 failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: Function
>> not
>> implemented
>>   0.887932 Can't claim USB device [06da:0003]: Function not
>> implemented
>>
>> I am currently running everything as myself (normal user), but as
>> you see I
>> get the error even with the -u root option.
>> Incidentally I get *exactly* the same result without that option so
>> perhaps
>> i am barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>> I've been googling like crazy, but I can't find any OSX specific
>> instructions that help much…
>>

> Charles may have an idea on that, since he's somehow our Apple expert.
> I would like to know which libusb version is used (ie, 0.1 or 1.0).

Just going through some NUT emails and saw this.

David: I use Fink instead of MacPorts, so I'm not sure how they handle
libusb. NUT uses the 0.1 API, but that can either be provided by
libusb-0.1.x (currently 0.1.12) or by the compatibility layer of
libusb-1.0. Can you check on that version number?

Also, OS X has the concept of security contexts, and I think that USB
devices are "owned" by processes in the console context. Are you
starting the NUT driver from a console context (e.g. Terminal.app
while logged in), versus from a SSH session?