[Nut-upsuser] NOTIFYCMD doesn't work from Windows service

Frédéric Bohé fredericbohe at eaton.com
Mon Apr 16 13:57:35 UTC 2012

Hello Dmitry,

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 15:06 +1100, Dmitry Ogorodnikov wrote:
> Hello dear all,
>
> I try to use NUT for windows (not WinNUT), and stuck with launching NOTIFYCMD.
> On any event marked as SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC syslog entry appears, popup
> window appears, but NOTIFYCMD script doesn't run.
> If I run upsmon.exe in cmd (i. e. not as a service) everything works fine.

I have just checked and it works with the NUT 2.6.1-1 package binaries.

However, I noticed 2 important things:
 - the notify command is called only after clicking OK on the upsmon's
dialog box. This is not the expected behavior and I will fix that
immediately. In the mean time you can disable this dialog box by
removing the "WALL" flag of the corresponding NOTIFYFLAG command.

 - the called notify command do not appear on the user's desktop,
neither with a GUI nor with a console. But you can check that it has
been called with Windows' task manager. This happens because the notify
command is called by the user SYSTEM which has no graphical display
available (no desktop). So the notify command should not try to display
information directly. Maybe there is a way to workaround this using
runas but I have not managed to find it yet.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Fred

Team Open Source Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com