[Nut-upsuser] nut snmp

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 24 16:03:36 UTC 2012

On 4/24/12 11:30 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> 2012/4/24 ramazan firin <ramazan_firin at hotmail.com>
>
>> i see that in user-manuel.pdf
>>
>> "Similarly, if your UPS connects to your computer via an SNMP network
>> card, you can probably add support for your device by
>> writing a new subdriver to the existing snmp-ups driver."
>>
>> in this page, http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/nut-snmp
>> "This package provides snmp-ups, the SNMP multi-MIB driver for UPS, which
>> supports various MIBs including IETF, MGE, and APC. It adds an SNMP Manager
>> interface to the core NUT system"
>>
>> i dont understand clearly,
>>
>> nut support snmp via network card ?
>
> we are there talking about NUT that interface with a device (UPS, PDU,
> whatever...), as it does with serial and USB devices, to get data, do
> settings and issue commands.
>
> but SNMP has 2 sides, which may be what is puzzling you:
> - the agent: which is the UPS card, serving SNMP data,
> - the manager, which is the NUT driver (snmp-ups), that consumes data from
> the agent.
> the snmp-ups driver is a generic driver that supports various MIBs and
> types of devices.
>
> I also once worked on an SNMP agent that provided NUT data through SNMP
> (RFC 1628):
> https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312563&group_id=30602&atid=411544
>
> For more info on SNMP, see for example:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol

It may help if I describe my setup, since in my cluster we only use SNMP
management cards.

All of our UPSes come from APC. If an APC UPS is a Smart-UPS model or better, it
comes with a slot for an SNMP management card. For example, an APC SMART-UPS
3000 uses a model AP9630 management card.

When I configure the management card, I assign it a static IP address; e.g., for
a server named "notredame.nevis.columbia.edu", I create an IP address with the
IP name "notredame-ups.nevis.columbia.edu" (I control the DNS service for my site).

On notredame, in ups.conf, I include the following:

[notredam-ups]
        driver = snmp-ups
        port = notredame-ups.nevis.columbia.edu
        community = public
        mibs=apcc

In upsd.users:

[monuser]
        password = XXXX
        upsmon master

In upsmon.conf:

MONITOR notredame-ups at localhost 1 monuser XXXX master

This works just fine.

What makes this facility especially nice is that I have servers that depend on
other servers. Suppose I have a server eiffel.nevis.columbia.edu that requires
notredame to be up; if notredame goes down due to its UPS going critical, then I
want eiffel to go down even if its own UPS still has some battery life. Then I
can include the same above statements for notredame in eiffel's configuration
file, in addition to the definitions for eiffel-ups.nevis.columbia.edu.

The lines in upsmon.conf look like this:

MONITOR eiffel-ups at localhost 1 monuser XXXX master
MONITOR notredame-ups at localhost 1 monuser XXXX master
MINSUPPLIES 2

Here's why I need that last line:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/nut-upsuser@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg06831.html>

The result is that eiffel will shut down if either eiffel-ups or notredame-ups
goes critical.
--
Bill Seligman             | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ | mailto://seligman@nevis.columbia.edu