[Nut-upsuser] UPS restart delay

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Aug 3 14:57:04 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012, at 17:31, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I tried mge-shut in 2.6 with no change, but newmge-shut with 2.6 showed this parameter, thanks!
>>

>> Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have any effect, ie..
>> Aug 02 11:34:04 ups1 at localhost upslog[1524] load: 18 temp: NA voltage: 0.0 recharge: 65 frequency: 0.0 status: OB DISCHRG
>> Aug 02 11:39:04 ups1 at localhost upslog[1524] load: 18 temp: NA voltage: 0.0 recharge: 50 frequency: 0.0 status: OB DISCHRG
>> Aug 02 11:39:14 ups1 at localhost upslog[1524] load: 18 temp: NA voltage: 0.0 recharge: 50 frequency: 0.0 status: FSD OB DISCHRG LB
>> Aug 02 11:53:01 ups1 at localhost upslog[1524] load: 17 temp: NA voltage: 225.0 recharge: 8 frequency: 49.0 status: OL CHRG
>> Aug 02 11:58:01 ups1 at localhost upslog[1524] load: 18 temp: NA voltage: 225.0 recharge: 11 frequency: 50.0 status: OL CHRG
>>
>> [battery.charge.low]
>> Remaining battery level when UPS switches to LB (percent)
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: 50
>>
>> [battery.charge.restart]
>> Minimum battery level for restart after power off (percent)
>> Type: STRING
>> Value: 60
>>
> as stated in the description, you must go through a "power off" or status off, for this to work
> Ie, once you reach "FSD OB LB", the shutoff (UPS poweroff) command must be applied to the UPS.
> once off, and the power is back, it will wait for battery.charge.restart level to be reached before reapplying power to its output.
> for manual / unit testing, you must issue an "upscmd ... load.off | shutdown.return" or equivalent, to get the OFF ups.status

The power was removed and the shutdown script calls 'upsdrvctl stop' and then 'upsdrvctl shutdown' - is that the right thing to do?

It seems the UPS does not turn itself off properly.

>> I have the following ups.conf entry..
>> [ups1]
>>         driver = newmge-shut
>>         port = /dev/cuau1
>>         ondelay = 190
>>         offdelay = 120
>>
>> The delay is because I am using FreeBSD and it does not remount the disks read only - the shutdown script calls 'upsdrvctl sutdown' when everything is still mounted read/write.
>>
> isn't 'upsdrvctl shutdown' called around the end of the halt script, once HD are in RO mode, or just before?

Just before, the script is called during shutdown but everything is still RW. FreeBSD does not remount things RO and run some scripts, hence the offdelay/ondelay being relatively large.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum