[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower UPS Help

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:38:05 UTC 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:57 AM, McCann, Brian wrote:

> Additionally, when I plug it in, I get this on the console:
>
> uhid0: CPS UPS OR700, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 2, iclass 3/0

Writing this up has been on my TODO list forever, but in the mean time, here's an email thread that talks about blacklisting the UPS from the uhid driver:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/4575

It's for a slightly different model, but the concept is the same: usbhid-ups uses libusb, which can only access USB devices with ugen* nodes. The only way to prevent uhid* from stealing the device (at the time of that thread - things may have changed) is to add your UPS to the blacklist. If you file a PR with FreeBSD, they may even add it for a future release.

Then, you can consult section "4) Permissions" in this file:

   http://people.freebsd.org/~thierry/nut_FreeBSD_HowTo.txt

Not sure if you mentioned which version of FreeBSD, but please keep us in the loop if these instructions aren't accurate anymore - that will be the basis of the official documentation.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail