[Nut-upsuser] APC SmartUPS 3000VA LCD not connecting

Zach La Celle lacelle at roboticresearch.com
Tue Feb 21 22:29:17 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 11:41 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> 2012/2/13 Zach La Celle <lacelle at roboticresearch.com>:
>> On 02/07/2012 10:58 AM, Zach La Celle wrote:
>>> On 02/07/2012 10:41 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>>> that's what I was suspecting.
>>>> I've never seen that one before, though!
>>>> a driver debug output, Ie:
>>>> $ /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DDDDD -a rack1ups
>>>> please, compress the result or sent in a reference to the file.
>>>> I would also be interested in a 2nd run, calling "export USB_DEBUG=3",
>>>> before starting usbhid-ups.
>>>> we should get some visibility from libusb.
>>>> cheers,
>>>> Arnaud
>>> I've put up two files: one without USB_DEBUG=3, and one with USB_DEBUG=3.
>>> Without:
>>> http://db.tt/55mUqzJA
>>> With:
>>> http://db.tt/Rcf2Phv6
>>> I hope this helps!
>>> -Zach
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Nut-upsuser mailing list
>>> Nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org
>>> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nut-upsuser
>> I'm back in the office, and can collect more information for you if it
>> will help.  Is there anything else you need?
> quite frankly, I still have no clue on what could be happening.
> have you tried on another USB port?
> is there anything else cabled on the same USB bus?
> would you be able to test this device on another system, with different OS?
> cheers,
> Arnaud

I figured out the cause of this problem: incorrect permissions on the
USB device.  At least, this seemed to fix the problem I had when I
manually tried to run upsdrvctl and got a permission denied.  The other
problems may have been solved simply by reinstalling nut, not sure.

It no longer returns the temperature, line frequency, or load
percentage, but this is fine for now.

In case anybody needs to fix their permissions in Debian-based system,
run lsusb to get your vendorId, productId, and usb bus address, then
check /dev/bus/usb/<bus number>/<device number> to see its permissions.
 Mine were 664: changing them to 666 worked for me.  To give an example
of my udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/90-APCUps.rules:

# APC USB device
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="051d", ATTR{idProduct}="0003",

Hope this helps.  Still not sure what was happening at first.  Also, if
there's any ways to get upsc to read more values from the UPS, let me know.

Thanks for your help!


More information about the Nut-upsuser mailing list