[Nut-upsuser] upsmon+snmp-ups does not shut down system

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 6 22:44:06 UTC 2012

I've googled and RTFM'ed, but still can't solve this one. I hope you folks can.

This affects my entire computer cluster, but let's start simple: I've got a
computer running NUT; OS is Scientific Linux 5.5; kernel 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5xen.
It connects to an APC SMART-UPS via an APC SmartCard using the snmp-ups driver.
It generally works: upsmon will detect if the battery is low (I get an e-mail
message); I can control the UPS, inspect it variables, set variables, issue
commands, and so on.

There's just one thing that does not happen: when the UPS goes critical, the
computer does not shut down. The upsmon daemon does not display any messages,
does not write to the syslog, does not send e-mail, etc.; even though I've
configured it to do so in upsmon.conf.

I've tried nut-2.2.2, nut-2.4.3, and nut-2.6.2, and the symptom is the same.

I tried issuing a "graceful reboot" command via the APC SmartCard's web and
telnet interface. It made no difference; the system still did not shut down.

Now let's extend the problem to my cluster: I have a variety of different
computers, all running Scientific Linux 5.5, connecting through different
switches, connecting to different flavors of APC SMART-UPSes, via SmartCards,
each ranging in age from six months to five years. They all exhibit this same
symptom, as I painfully discovered during a recent power outage: they all sent
me e-mail when the UPSes went to low battery, but none turned off when the UPS
went critical. Given the range of hardware involved, this must be a common
software problem.

The systems will shut down properly if I do "upsmon -c fsd", so it doesn't
appear to be a permissions problem.

I don't think this is the upsdrv_shutdown() issue described in the snmp-ups man
page; I do not care if the UPS shuts down when the computer does, nor do I want
it to. I just want upsmon to shut down the system when the UPS goes critical.

Here are my config files; the system is tanya, its UPS is tanya-ups. Any advice?

ups.conf:

[tanya-ups]
        driver = snmp-ups
        port = tanya-ups
        community = private
        mibs = apcc

upsd.conf:

# LISTEN 0.0.0.0 3493

upsd.users:

[admin]
        password = nowayjose
        actions = SET
        instcmds = all
        upsmon master

upsmon.conf:

MONITOR tanya-ups at localhost 1 admin nowayjose master
MINSUPPLIES 1
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
NOTIFYCMD /home/bin/notify.sh # sends me e-mail
POLLFREQ 5
POLLFREQALERT 5
HOSTSYNC 15
DEADTIME 15
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT       SYSLOG+WALL
NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT      SYSLOG+WALL
NOTIFYFLAG FSD          SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD      SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN     SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG REPLBATT     SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG NOPARENT     SYSLOG+WALL
RBWARNTIME 43200
NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
FINALDELAY 5

--
Bill Seligman             | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ | mailto://seligman@nevis.columbia.edu